[squeak-dev] [ANN] Minecraft Bindings

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 11 22:15:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-11, at 14:33, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at Keystone-Software.com> wrote:

>> Yes, it's uploaded. Any reason you created new packages, instead of putting the constants into Base and the example into Demo? I don't see the need for having to load 4 packages ...
>
> No particular reason.  I'm still getting use to the proper protocols of
> donating code.

Ah. It's not about donating code, but about developing collaboratively. You take something, improve it, and give it back :)

So in this particular case, you would just move your MinecraftConstants class into the "Minecraft-Pi-Base" category and save a new version of the  "Minecraft-Pi-Base" package (likely  "Minecraft-Pi-Base-LL.3") into our minecraft repository.

And you would not add an extra demo class, but just modify my rainbow example method to use the new constants. Then save a new version of "Minecraft-Pi-Demo".

Btw, if you put your login details into Monticello, squeaksource3 will list you as author. Looks nicer than "anonymous" :)

If you log in to ss3 then you can delete the other packages so only the Base and Demo packages remain.

On the weekend my son and his friend successfully joined the Minecraft world running on the Pi with their iPods. So while they were playing I could place blocks, transport the players to other places etc. from my Squeak image. It's also how I noticed the #playerIds method didn't work correctly, because that was the first time the number of players was larger than 1 (fix committed).

Did you do anything else cool with Minecraft?

- Bert -