[squeak-dev] Re: [lively-kernel] product environment for educational apps

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Mar 21 17:27:38 UTC 2013

On 21-03-2013, at 10:16 AM, Brad Fuller <brad at bradfuller.com> wrote:

> On 3/21/2013 10:12 AM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>> Hi Brad, got it. Your IT dep't needs fired;)
>>
>> You can totally use Lively Kernel, but you may have to deal with some rough edges.
>>
>> Another possible option -- I remember John Maloney mentioning on a podcast that they were examining reimplementing Scratch using web technologies -- but I don't follow Scratch as closely as the other stuff, so I don't know about the status of that effort.
>
> Would that be Snap?
> http://snap.berkeley.edu/

No, Flash (hurk, blech). Scratch 2.0 is a Flash script.

In the meantime I'm working on improving Scratch 1.4 performance on the Pi; so far roughly twice as fast just by tidying some ugly code. Lots more meat to grind on in there, and then there is a translator VM to implement. And faster bitblt; so far it looks like we can get somewhere between 3 & 10 times as fast for that, too.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- LE ROI EST MORT. JIVE LE ROI - The King is dead.  No kidding.