[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-tpr.205.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Mar 24 19:40:32 UTC 2013

On 24-03-2013, at 11:04 AM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most probably you moved AbstractFont to another package.
> Could you verify how it is classified? I have :
>
> Object subclass: #AbstractFont
> 	instanceVariableNames: ''
> 	classVariableNames: 'ForceNonSubPixelCount'
> 	poolDictionaries: ''
> --->	category: 'Graphics-Fonts'

Not me; it must be an artefact of the image I was using, which it turns out to my surprise is a 4.3 version.

I've been trying to get a 4.4-12337 and update packages but so far it mostly seems to blow up. Some issue with SketchMorph and #rotationCenter: is one problem and trying to load the latest compiler package just trashes the vm  (the Cog vm, so far as I can tell from the dump file 'CogVM VM 6.0-pre - 21.0')

I've attempted to find a newer image than the 4.4 but nothing seems to exist. While looking for a newer Mac Cog vm  http://www.squeakvm.org/mac/ points to a 404.  http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2701/cog.app.tgz appears to be about right though it disconcertingly claims to be Croquet instead of Squeak - no idea if that has any real meaning.

OK, so next I try using the latest 'update' entry in the trunk repository. Loading that
a) complains about loading 'Exceptions' on top of a package that has unsaved changes in the image. That doesn't sound good. Why does a released image have uncommitted code changes?
b) MNU for #undeclared in SystemDictionary while loading system-fbs.519 Also not good sounding. It appears that the only implementor of #undeclared is Environment, but the environment iVar in Class>declare is still the SystemDictionary. Boom. It may be of interest that the still extant 'Undeclared' dictionary contains #EnvironmentRequest (nil), #category (#'public access'), #class (Compiler), #context (nil) and #requestor (nil).

I'm not where to go from here. It seems a bit alarming that it is so problematic to update an image before I can even try to submit the changes I'm actually interested in.

tim
Concurrent: an object that looks like a raisin but isn't