[squeak-dev] [Cuis] The Inbox: Installer-Core-fbs.366.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:42:16 UTC 2013

On 26 March 2013 13:46, Louis LaBrunda <Lou at keystone-software.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for being a little off topic.
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 14:22:07 +0100, Nicolas Cellier
> <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>For line-ending, Cuis could provide a simplified version of nextLine
>>linesDo: etc... based only on CR
>>For the displaying of LF, CR, or any other non printable ASCII that
>>should be generalized and an option available in Squeak too.
>
> IMHO a single character line-end of LF (line feed) makes more sense than a
> CR (carriage return).  They both date back to when type writers, TTYs and
> printers actually had carriages.  A carriage return, returned the carriage,
> allowing to over type/print the line, like for underlining.  A line feed
> made a new line.  If we are to drop one of these two (stop using CR, LF -
> and I think we should when/where we can) then we should keep LF and drop
> CR.

The important part isn't so much which line separator you prefer as
the method name. With common names, packages could could happily use
whatever line ending that fork used.

Does any OS actually use CR anymore? OS X and all the Unices use LF,
Windows and the Internet (as in HTTP, and all protocols based on it)
use CRLF.

frank