[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-tpr.206.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Mar 26 17:53:18 UTC 2013

On 26-03-2013, at 8:07 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Isn't it a bit premature to it this way? This will make these operations slower than before for everyone who does not have the plugin. Which is pretty much everyone.

Well, what is an alternative? You have to make a change at some point if you want to use anything new.

What is the likelihood that someone is going to be loading leading edge ST code but not using a leading edge VM? I don't imagine it is very high. There is no platform VM code involved, so adding the primitive is no extra cost.

Performance-wise, there will be a small cost in the cases where a pixelpeeker BitBlt was being created outside the loop and is now effectively inside the loop. However, look at those cases -
Form>floodFill2:at: - no senders in a plain image
PNMWriter>nextPutGray: & nextPutRGB: - used as a small part of  writing out images to files
Pen>print:withFont:- no senders in a plain image
WarpBlt>warpBitSmoothing:sourceMap: - actually implemented as a bitbltplugin prim anyway

Just to make life even more fun that it already has been, I see that the code that ended up in Graphics-tpr.206.mcz is somewhat different to that I which expected.  The damned primitive isn't even being called properly in that code, and places where I replaced the bitbltpeeker have pixelAt: instead of pixelValueAt: (and it's pretty dumb that we ended up with two variants there). My only explanation is there must have been a dumb-thumb exit-no-save at a stupid place.

And to be even more fun, I think I've found out why a previous attempt caused the removal of AbstractFont methods; the latest configuration of VMMaker (update-dtl-12) refers to FreeType-tween.435. Which changes AbstractFont. I can't help thinking that it isn't a package that should be involved in VMMaker. FreeType-Plugin, sure, that makes sense, but isn't the rest of it supposed to be already part of the image? Or subsumed by other changes already in the image?

And *even* more fun comes from the fact that I can't now submit changes to fix the stuff I noticed without having the f%^%^*^&ing AbstractFont stuff sorted out.

tim
Strange OpCodes: START: Cancel preceding jobs in queue