[squeak-dev] Squeak GSoC ideas wanted: "Squeak Web browser Plugin"

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Tue Mar 26 23:10:16 UTC 2013

Yes... I agree... perhaps its more of a business problem that needs to be
addressed.
Maybe one that is fixed with proper technical implementation along with
business solutions.

Ok, so what's the problem? Background argument: I think squeak is a
_pretty_good_ platform for educational products (as I've mentioned). You can
quickly develop product (if you know the capabilities of the classes well.)
and it runs on multiple platforms on various versions of those platforms.
Fantastic!

It isn't bullet proof (really, what is) I wish the multimedia capabilities
were much more robust (I'll probably get hammered for saying that). There
are other issues, but the main thing is trust. I haven't heard school
boards, or IT departments (if you want to call them that) feeling good about
the support, the security and the development structure around the platform.
I've heard the opposite. Perhaps I'm totally wrong, and I'd like to be.

Some of that is because there isn't a company that stands behind and
supports its applications --- because... well... there isn't any that I know
of that are widespread.

What's the good news?
If you start researching the world for educational products you see an
enormously wide range of markets and acceptance. Everybody is talking about
2.0 and 3.0 educational products. There are websites, foundations,
companies, and mostly educational non-profit entities focused on new
technology for learning.

So, why a "web browser plugin". Its clearly just to get around the IT
department approval of running an app locally. If it's in the browser, and
found to be relatively secure, it's usually accepted.

And, while I'm writing this, perhaps we just need a company out there that
puts a stake in the ground and starts developing product, supporting it, to
build trust in the community and industry to show that Squeak could be a
great platform on which to build super product.

So, you're right. Unless it could be used to further the education of a CS
student, I withdraw my proposal. Perhaps there is something that could be
done in GSoC to further the security of Squeak and it's connection to the
Internet?

brad

"Janko Mivs(ek" <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

    Hi Brad,

    I added it to the ideas but I'm questioning the whole plugin idea
    because nowadays everyone is running away of any plugin as fast as
    possible. From Flash, Java plugins included. Also, any plugin must
    nowadays support 5 different browsers on 3 different OSes + add mobile
    ones and you have a mess unmaintainable even for biggest players like
    Adobe or Oracle for Java.

    Best regards
    Janko

    Dne 26. 03. 2013 17:46, pis(e Brad Fuller:

        Here's an idea. If you think this is a viable idea for students,
        please enhance what I have already entered. ======== Title: Squeak
        Web browser Plugin for Major Browsers Level: Intermediate to
        Advanced Possible mentor: (if already known) Possible second mentor:
        (if already known) Description: The goal is to make Squeak
        accessible within major web browsers. Mozilla Firefox and Google
        Chrome/Chromium are two open-source browsers that should be
        targeted/tested. Safari, IE and Opera would be nice to have, and
        strongly encouraged. Technical Details: The current plugin code
        could be a good start. Benefits to the Student: Learn or enhance
        knowledge of web browser plugins for major browsers. Requires
        student to learn techniques to interface two different products
        (squeak and a web browser) - each that maintain their own unique
        characteristics. Helps student be more attractive for Internet-based
        technical employment. Benefits to the Community A Squeak plugin
        breaks the Page-Bound barrier of traditional HTML/JS/PHP generated
        content. Current Squeak applications could be easily adapted and
        utilized by users almost immediately. Allows new web apps to be
        created using powerful built-in Squeak tools. Could elevate the
        marketability of Squeak and may proliferate it's use. ======== On