REPLs (was Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-tpr.205.mcz)

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 23:30:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 March 2013 22:49, Nicolas Cellier
> <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2013/3/26 Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>:
>>> Thanks very much Chris, I'll give this a whirl.
>>>
>>> Indeed, my _primary_ goal is to run things headless, which requires
>>> decent error reporting to stdout/stderr.
>>>
>>> However, I do really like REPLs (I use Clojure's, Python's and Ruby's
>>> just about every day), and having such a thing for Smalltalk would
>>> make me very happy. It would aid my ambassadorship greatly as well.
>>>
>>> frank
>>>

>> But isn't REPL is more demanding than just read-eval-print?
>>
>> Without a decent class/message discovery mechanism (replacing the browser)
>> - on line help
>> - autocompletion
>> - ...
>> nor decent error reporting and debugging services,
>> could your ambassadorship sustain comparison to above references?
>
> Sure. But saying to people "sorry but you have no easy way to test
> something short of running inside this special UI unlike anything
> you've ever used, with special keybindings like nothing you've ever
> used" doesn't win me anything.

Hi - sorry, I'm jumping into a thread without reading the whole context.

I implemented a REPL for Squeak quite some time ago. I'm not sure if
it still works. You need a telnet client to connect to it.

http://gulik.pbworks.com/w/page/7760030/REPLServer

I used it mainly for resetting Morphic when my experiments went
astray. It doesn't support auto-completion, but there is online help,
line editing and history (IIRC?).

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/