[squeak-dev] Reimplementing CI with Rake: status report

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:41:33 UTC 2013

On 27 March 2013 17:22, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:18 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I got fed up really quickly with writing shell scripts, so I started
>> an experiment to use Ruby's Rake to run tests.
>> https://travis-ci.org/frankshearar/squeak-ci/builds/5835209 shows the
>> latest build, which
>> * builds a custom Interpreter VM (because the CI runs on several
>> unsupported platforms - CentOS on build.squeak.org (unsupported
>> because it uses an ancient glibc) and Travis (unsupported because it's
>> an x86_64 platform)),
>

> are you sure?  I build my Cog linux machines on CentOS 5.3.  The linux VMs
> run on 64-bit linuxes that have the 32-bit libraries installed (and they're
> easy to install)

Sorry for not being clear; yes, it's the libc6:i386 issue. Some
platforms - Heroku's, in particular - don't let you install the
necessary bits. Travis CI gives you a clean virtual machine that they
throw away, so they let you run as root. So it's as easy as "apt-get
install libc6:i386" to get things working there. The horror of Heroku
clouded my thinking.

And I stand corrected regarding CentOS. It's the official Interpreter
binaries that don't work on whatever version of CentOS
build.squeak.org, because they need 2.14 or 2.15 and build.squeak.org
uses 2.11.

frank