[squeak-dev] Case sensitive "source with it" works in MVC but not in Morphic, what to do?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri May 10 01:35:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 08:52:45AM -0400, Bob Arning wrote:

> On 5/9/13 8:21 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >So maybe some other mechanism is better, such as a separate menu entry?
>
> sounds good

I've looked at this a bit more, and there are several other menu items for
which case-sensitive matching is controlled by the shift key. I suspect that
the original user interface concept here is that the shift key (which one
might think of as the "upper case key") controls whether a menu selection
should pay attention to case. For someone familiar with the keyboard shortcuts,
this would be very efficient and easy to remember.

This mechanism does not work in Morphic because the shift key is used for
other purposes. So the original concept of controlling case-sensitive searches
based on state of the shift key still exists and it still works in MVC, but
it has not been translated into something that works for Morphic.

I'm not sure that changing this for "method source with it" is a good idea
unless that same approach can be applied consistently for "method strings
with it", "class comments with it", etc. So I'm still thinking about it...

Dave