[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-fbs.528.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri May 10 09:11:51 UTC 2013

On 9 May 2013 22:40,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of System to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-fbs.528.mcz

> Name: System-fbs.528
> Author: fbs
> Time: 9 May 2013, 10:39:54.298 pm
> UUID: 4da211f7-b4fa-45b4-9560-f43e2c643510
> Ancestors: System-fbs.527
>
> SystemNavigation is one of the core parts of how Tools reflect on an image. This modest proposal introduces (partially) a means of making a SystemNavigation reflect on an Environment. It relies on Environments-fbs.27
>
> =============== Diff against System-fbs.527 ===============

I realise that this diff is not even close to being even partially a
fraction of what we need to do to this class and related bits. (For
instance, #allBehaviors should say "self environment allTraitsDo:"
instead of "ClassDescription allTraitsDo:" (and the latter ought to be
removed, along with Class class >> #rootsOfTheWorld).) The point of
the change is to ask the good folk of this list whether this is a sane
approach.

I've extended the patch locally, writing tests as I go. Turns out that
if you break SystemNavigation you hose yourself because the tools you
need to dig yourself back out are all broken. (It occurs to me that
perhaps Workspace would still work, so one could revert a method that
way... if one knew how off by heart.)

But I've managed to mostly avoid having to kill my image, and can use
"self environment" in a whole bunch of places.

frank