[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-fbs.533.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue May 21 06:39:30 UTC 2013

On 20 May 2013 22:27, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 May 2013 19:45, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20 May 2013 19:33,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
>>> Frank Shearar uploaded a new version of System to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/System-fbs.533.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: System-fbs.533
>>> Author: fbs
>>> Time: 20 May 2013, 7:33:42.666 pm
>>> UUID: 845089de-faef-4831-b224-ba7ffbea91c9
>>> Ancestors: System-fbs.532, System-fbs.529
>>>
>>> More work on make SystemNavigation Environmentally aware. It skirts the issue of what to do with Smalltalk specialSelectors and Smalltalk presumedSentMessages in #allSentMessagesWithout:.
>>>
>>> My own feeling is that these two might be fine for the "top level" Environment (even though eventually there ought not to be such a thing), but that it's wrong to add these selectors to #allSentMessagesWithout:'s result: a particular Environment might never send these messages.
>>>
>>> =============== Diff against System-fbs.529 ===============
>>
>> This monstrous diff is against the wrong parent. The diff contains the
>> work I did moving most of GetText into System-Localization AND the
>> Environments work. Sigh.
>
> By which I mean, I've done the GetText work in an earlier revision
> (through the System-fbs.532 parent), and I'm surprised to see that
> appear here.

OK, I think what happened here was my fault, actually. The ultimate
result is what I'd intended, but not how I got there.

I had a chain of two commits in the Inbox, call them I-528 and I-529.
I'd intended to merge I-528 into trunk and then I-529, so we could
track the two changes independently. I did the work of merging I-528
into my local trunk, but I think I failed to commit it.

I think in future if I have multiple edits outstanding on the same
package I'll use an MC branch to isolate the changes. (It's not
practical to always submit single commits: you really want to commit
locally, and unwinding those commits into a single changeset you can
apply to a new, clean base image is... tiresome, manual, easy to mess
up.)

frank