[squeak-dev] Browser searching suggestion

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 24 21:47:34 UTC 2013

While I'm thinking of UI stuff, here's a suggestion that might be simple for a Morphite to try out -
For the class category and message protocol lists, add a 'spotlight' morph. The class category 'find class' menu entry work ok on a fast machine but is very slow on smaller machines at least in part because of building a large list and a full window in which to show them. If the top of the browser list were to be a typeable morph attached to a very lightweight drop-down list (a menu in essence) of matches for what was typed… so instead of doing

menu or cmd-f,
opening a somewhat complicated dialogue/window showing all classes,
typing the pattern,
selecting a matching one

we might have -

type into pattern field
fast, simple list displayed containing only matching entries
select choice

I'm thinking of this as both a lighter weight bit of work for the system (since the full list of all classes need not be built and formatted and displayed) and a slightly lower friction UI for the user (since the UI is right there in front of you). The same widget targeted at all messages of a class could be nice. I wonder if it might be even more effective if nothing were displayed until at least 'n' characters were entered, where 'n' is probably 2-4. Is it actually useful to see  a list of all classes containing a single typed letter? Could we sensibly link the pattern to regexp code, or at least basic matching with wildcards?

tim
Strange OpCodes: WDS: Warp Drive, Scotty!