[squeak-dev] FileSystem

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Mon May 27 20:06:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>  That's what I thought I remember from briefly looking at it before,
> that the way it did that created lots of garbage.  I hope I'm wrong.
> IMO, FileSystem should be at least equal to FileDirectory across the
> board, so we leave no reasons at all for someone to want to have
> FileDirectory in their image (which means they'd have to have both).

I don't think you can expect a general API that's designed for flexibility
and usefulness across a broad range of applications to perform as well as
an optimized implementation   that you hand-tuned for your specific
application. In fact, I'd argue that #directoryTreeDo: shouldn't be part of
the trunk, it should be an extension method in Banyan.

Look at it this way: FileDirectory was missing a lot of features that you
needed. Instead of using Filesystem, which provides those features, you
added them to FileDirectory in a way that's highly specific to the needs of
your application. Now you're worried that Filesystem isn't "equal" to
FileDirectory, meaning that it's not tuned for your application. But if you
put the same effort into optimizing Banyan+Filesystem, you'd be fine.

If you don't want to put in that effort, that's fine too. FileDirectory
will be a loadable package, so you can just make Banyan depend on it, and
add it to your build script.

Colin