[squeak-dev] Re: Breaking up ToolBuilder

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri May 31 15:22:36 UTC 2013

On 31 May 2013 16:05, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 May 2013 12:16, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

>>> I opted to move ToolBuilder-Morphic to MorphicToolBuilder to maintain
>>> _some_ degree of separation.
>>
>> I don't feel that's necessary. It could just be part of Morphic.
>>
>>> It might be a fool's errand, given that
>>> loads of Morphic things reference UIManager and so already have a
>>> direct dependency on ToolBuilder.
>>>
>>> Assuming that this move is good (as in, better than
>>> ToolBuilder-Morphic -> Morphic-ToolBuilder, putting these classes in
>>> the Morphic package), I guess my newbie senses are tingling. This
>>> change guts 3 packages and adds 3 new ones. But I guess all I need to
>>> do - this is the part I'd like some reassurance with - is:
>>> * upload everything to trunk,
>>> * publish a config map with the new packages before ToolBuilder,
>>> * LEAVE the ToolBuilder-${NowEmpty} packages in the map,
>>> * (much later, maybe in the 4.5 windup) publish a new config map with
>>> the ToolBuilder-${NowEmpty} packages removed.
>>

>> Ah, I mistakenly thought ToolBuilder was a single package. So except for making up new packages this sounds right.
>
> Right. Handily, the config map already loads SUnitGUI, Morphic and
> ST80 before the ToolBuilder-* packages, so I don't need to do anything
> (other than note the eventual removal of these packages).

Er. Or do I? One of my images broke _somehow_ (as in I don't remember
the actions prior to the breakage) with an emergency evaluator talking
about AnObsoleteMorphicUIManager not defining something or other. I
might not need to change the _order_ in the map, but perhaps I need to
push the updated _versions_ of things?

Sorry for being so dense where the config maps are concerned.

frank