[squeak-dev] 4.5 release push -- Let's consolidate remaining Environments issues for Colin

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed Nov 6 09:27:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013, Chris Muller wrote:

> Hi all, I've reached out to Colin, he's unusually busy right now but
> willing to help us get the remaining Environments wrinkles ironed out.
>
> To ensure we get the best of his time, would everyone please chip in
> and help clearly identify what Environments issues remain?  I guess
> Levente fixed one related to sharing Associations between
> Environments.  Is that golden now?

Not at all. I haven't pushed anything. We had a discussion, but it got
stalled:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2013-June/171534.html

> I, myself, have seen at least one of my images get into a state where
> it's no longer warning me about Undeclared variables when I save a
> method.  And, another where formerly declared globals (e.g., classes)
> that have been removed; the references to them are not even
> highlighted by Shout as being undeclared.  Sorry I don't know more
> about the problem.

That is because #hasBindingThatBeginsWith: doesn't work as it should. IMHO
the solution would be to initialize the contents of the references
dictionary with the imports in the Environment. Currently this is lazy, so
some bindings are not there at all, that's why Shout shows them as
missing.

> So, what other Environments issues do we still have that would be good
> for Colin's attention?

IMHO as a bare minimum we should:
- fix the dictionaries, so they don't use bindings as their internal
associations
- initialize references correcly - as described above
- create an API for Undeclared, and remove all direct references to it, it
shouldn't be exposed at all
- test, test, test

Levente