[Box-Admins] Re: [squeak-dev] SqueakSource.com home page (was: Fix for OSProcess - Where to commit?)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 17:31:18 UTC 2013

Hi David,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> Attached is a screen shot of the process browser in the squeaksource.com
> image, showing the excess SSSession processes. They are deadlocked on
> accessing DateAndTime now, which contains a critical section using the
> LastTickSemaphore in class DateAndTime.
>
> In the squeaksource.com image, LastTickSemaphore has 0 excess signals,
> whereas in other images I look at, it has 1 excess signal. This looks
> to me like a mutex that has gotten confused.
>
> I sent a signal to LastTickSemaphore in class DateAndTime, and now it
> looks like a mutex again. Let's see if that clears the problem.
>
> This certainly has a bad smell about it :-(  But I note also that
> we are running our SqueakSource services on older images, and a number
> of changes have been made to DateAndTime since then.
>
> Nicolas, I will send private email to give you the VNC password for access
> to the squeaksource.com image in case you need it (I am going to get some
> sleep soon).

All this LastTickSemaphore stuff is complete nonsense, wasting on average
1/2 a second on startup spinning until the clock rolls over.  If we move to
the 64-bit microsecond timebase which is provided by the Cog time
primitives we don't need to sync the second and the millisecond clocks
because they are replaced by a single microsecond clock.  If the current
Interpreter VMs do support the 64-bit microsecond primitives I suggest we
move ASAP.  QWe've already done this in our images at Cadence and been
running happily with it for several months.  Would this help?

--
best,
Eliot