Modular != minimal (was Re: [squeak-dev] Loading FFI is broken)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 21:02:49 UTC 2013

On 15 November 2013 20:38, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>

> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 15 November 2013 02:54, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Not every time -- I've learned a few things from y'all in this
>> > community.  :)

>> > Yes, we're in agreement that should be a criteria for determining
>> > package boundaries / granularities.

>> > Ha, I knew it!  You ALWAYS pick "System" every time we have this
>> > argument.   :)
>>
>> It's one of the most egregious offenders, so I'm bound to pick on it :)

>> > "big fat mess" and "no business being together" are size / coherency
>> > judgements.  Busted!  :)
>>
>> I use a pejorative term here only because System's (probably) the
>> worst entangler we have. I want the Squeak base image to be like a
>> layer cake. If you draw the dependencies between packages, and Kernel
>> sits at the bottom, then all the dependency arrows point either
>> sideways (with no cycles) or downwards. System is like a giant
>> pineapple sitting in the middle of that cake. It cuts across these
>> various layers, because it provides high level functionality (no good
>> examples off the top of my head because I'm at work and don't have an
>> image open - Project maybe?), low level functionality (change
>> notification), and "support" stuff (which largely looks like a "useful
>> things that we don't know where else to put" bucket).
>

> First let me stress that I agree strongly with your desire to see the system
> properly modularized.  Personally I like the image of an onion, but then I
> like clams in white wine with onions and coriander much more than I like
> cake.  Second, I *think* it's impossible with a system like Smalltalk to
> meaningfully onionize the core of the system (i.e. System).  That's because
> it is recursively implemented.  None of the core libraries (arithmetic,
> collections) can exist without the kernel execution classes (behavior,
> method dictionary, compiled method),  None of the core execution classes can
> function without the core libraries (method dictionary is a collection,
> arithmetic is used throughout the core system).

Well, we know it can be done with 3 objects and 5 methods: Ian
Piumarta and Alex Warth showed that years ago already, in C no less.
We can certainly do at least an order of magnitude better than the
current state of affairs.

> Observe that having a separate development environment such as Spoon doesn't
> change much here.  We can easily extract the compiler (and a binary loader)
> from the system; it is then inert (cannot add more code) but still
> functional.  We can use Spoon to create methods in one image and upload them
> to another.  But within an image there will always be circularity which is
> fundamentally to do with teh system being implemented in itself, with
> everything (including code) being objects.  And this property of everything
> being an object is the single most valuable property of the system; it leads
> to the system's liveness.  So at some stage we have to accept the tangle
> that lies at the heart of the system.  It doesn't have to be a tangled mess,
> and can have clean boundaries.  But IMO inevitably at the core of the sytsem
> there will be some small number of packages which are inevitably
> interrelated, inseparable and unloadable.
>
> I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but I had to let that brain fart
> free.

That is a very disturbing image that I will try to forget as quickly
as possible!

>> > The truth is, I'm pretty sure we've agreed about System for a while.
>> > If all dependency cycles could be removed, I wouldn't care so much
>> > about System being "big and fat" because I see it as the "Smalltalk
>> > programming system", but I think the cycles probably won't be able to
>> > be eliminated without breaking it up and so it's moot to disagree on
>> > System anyway.
>>
>> Parts of System depending on other parts of System in a cyclic manner
>> ("intra-package" cycles) don't matter. Unless you try to break up the
>> package, of course, in which case you can't load the parts without
>> weird preambles and non-MC-friendly things.
>>
>> I understand why you see System as being "the Smalltalk programming
>> system". I'm trying to untangle what exactly "the Smalltalk
>> programming system" actually means, and how it's built. I suppose I'm
>> looking at the packages through a microscope?
>

> As you well know that won't work.

I don't know if I missed my mark with that sentence. What I'm trying
to say is that when I look at System I don't see "the Smalltalk
programming system". I see a loose collection of parts. I see the
trees, not the forest. And the trees are bound together with Spanish
moss. Or something.

>  We need to look at it in large chunks.
> For me its core class libraries (essentially Object (so one can add new
> classes that integrate with the system), arithmetic, collections and
> streams), the execution classes, environments (Smalltalk, SharedPools),
> exceptions and some base error reporting facility.  Above that one can add
> System (managing the evolution of the environment) & Compiler.  Above that
> the programming tools.  Etc.

No arguments here.

> This works (I think) by looking at functionality.  Smalltalk is a
> programming system used to express programs.  The most elemental programs
> use arithmetic and/or collections; the next most elemental programs add new
> classes rooted at Object.  All these elements are themselves expressed as
> objects.  These programs may run, and in doing so may raise errors which
> need to be reported.  Note that I *haven't* included how those programs are
> created in the elemental soup.  Whether the image just is, or whether code
> is created by the Compiler/ClassBuilder, or loaded via a binary loader isn't
> elemental; the fact that there are at least three ways to go about it proves
> this.
>
> So IMO if you want to break the system into modules you first come up with a
> model of the system's functionality, and you design modules around that
> model. All forms of shrinkage, unloading, loading, compiling, remote
> debugging, etc, etc are merely arcs in the functionality model.  IMO an
> elegant functionality model is one where the atom of functionality is small
> and can easily be used to create other compound functionalities in as few
> steps as possible.
>
> So a base headless image with arithmetic, collections, file streams,
> execution classes, exceptions, compiler, read-eval-print-loop and error
> reporting to standard out seems close.  Another could be arithmetic,
> collections, file streams, execution classes, exceptions, error reporting to
> standard out, a binary loader and a command-line argument parser such that
> one can specify packages to load.  Another might be arithmetic, collections,
> file streams, execution classes, exceptions, and error reporting to standard
> out, that requires Spoon to load code into it.
>
> Once one's chosen one or more of these bases then other functionalities such
> as a squeak trunk image with the programming tools and morphic, or a squeak
> trunk with MVC, or a headless scripting environment with a
> read-eval-print-loop and lots of file system utilities, can be constructed
> by loading modules, and hence those modules can be derived from what it
> would take to construct a functionality.
>
> If I'm missing the point of this discussion forgive me, but it seems to me
> that without a clear notion of what the atom is there's endless scope for
> confusion and delay.

I see discussions about models and "what should the layers look like"
as having endless scope for confusion and delay. I'd much rather stick
my knife in a crack and see how the stone splits. At least as a first
pass. Finessing the module boundaries is bound to happen _anyway_, and
I'd rather have poor/ok boundaries now than theoretically perfect ones
years from now.

I would dearly love to have a Kernel that did _not_ depend on any
other package. This Kernel would of necessity include certain
collections, and various other bits that might at first blush not look
Kernel-y. But it shouldn't contain ToolBuilder references, or
TextConverter, or Compiler. It probably ought to contain
SystemChangeNotifier though, if only because that needs to log events
that happen right in the guts of the Kernel. (I can imagine other ways
of doing this, but you still have to have _something_ that notifies
interested parties of new classes, etc.)

It seems foolish to lump all Collections together just because they're
collections, as an example of what I'm _not_ looking for.

frank