[squeak-dev] Byte 1981 online version

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 21 00:06:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 02:04:02PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> This surely must have been mentioned before but I can?t say I?ve ever noticed it - you can read the entire Byte Smalltalk edition at https://archive.org/stream/byte-magazine-1981-08/1981_08_BYTE_06-08_Smalltalk#page/n0/mode/2up

Thanks. I kept my entire collection of Byte Magazine issues for years (no,
not years, decades) in the basement, moldering away with other indispensible
posessions such as plastic slide rules, old eyeglass cases, and unopened
junk mail. A real Andy Warhol scene. So what is the one and only issue of
Byte Magazine that I ever went back to look for? You guessed it, the 1981-08
issue.  And where was it? You guessed it, nowhere to be found.

I think I like the advertisements in this issue as much as anything. You
have to love the guy with the cutting-edge portable (sic) Osborne computer,
armed to the teeth with SUPERCALC(r) and WORDSTAR(r), and striding purposefully
into the future alongside an ordinary business person type guy armed only
with an old-fashioned leather briefcase.

Dave