[squeak-dev] LRUCache to Balloon?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Nov 22 01:03:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 01:31:37AM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Chris Muller wrote:
> >
> >On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >>I'm sorely tempted to move LRUCache to Balloon. It's in System at the
> >>moment, making Balloon depend on System.
>
> >LRUCache is generic, so how about Collections?
>
> It's generic, but the implementation is not generally useful.

I don't see how the concept of a LRU cache is in any way related to Balloon.
It seems to me that if it is useful enough to be included in the system at
all, then it should live in a package category that reflects the actual meaning
of the class.

Suppose for the sake of argument that Balloon was being maintained as an
external package outside of the trunk image. Suppose also that an LRU cache
was something worth having in the trunk. What package would you put it in?

Dave