[squeak-dev] LRUCache to Balloon?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 20:33:30 UTC 2013

>> Bingo! :) But seriously, why do you even care about the number of
> packages in the image?
>>

> Because package categories exist for the benefit of human beings who want
> to be able to read and understand the system.

Yes, exactly.

A system composed of more than about 25 packages no longer offers any
coherence in terms of looking at its list of packages.  Instead of
groking a single-system made up of 25 "parts," you have voluminous
morass of packages that clouds the nature and intent of the system as
a whole.

It's exactly the same reason we care about the other metrics:  LOC per
method, methods per class, classes per package.  It's the same for
packages system.  (and packages per category, but we're not talking
about categories).  Too much at any level is undesirable (acknowleging
a few necessary exceptions, of course).