[squeak-dev] [ANN] MC history for all source.squeak.org projects

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 22:13:42 UTC 2013

The 'mc history' and 'mc origin' functions have been extended to ALL
projects hosted by source.squeak.org.  It's currently handled via
box4.squeak.org:8888.  So, for example, to enable mc history for VM
Maker, simply add this repository to that package:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://box4.squeak.org:8888/VMMaker'
    user: ''
    password: ''

This is a warm backup of source.squeak.org whose backend is hosted
entirely by a Magma database.  This Magma version consumes only 1.4GB
of disk (vs. 7.1GB by the filesystem-based source.squeak.org).  And
because it accesses simply a pure object model, additional "features"
would be trivial to add.  For example, 'mc senders' and/or 'mc
implementors' might be useful someday..

I've been the mc history functions for my own projects for several
years.  It's been useful for interrogating _why_ a method
implementation is what it is, and properly recovering an older
version, if necessary.  I hope it will be useful for you, too.