[squeak-dev] Deprecate update stream?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 24 23:03:51 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 10:11:56PM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> What is the last time this code were used? 3.8 image?
> The clean way is to isolate a package then remove it (if we think that code
> has an interest and could be revived).
> Otherwise, the fast way is to just remove...

In this case I think there is a very good chance that someone will want
to use this in the future, because it provides a very lightweight and
human-readable means of replaying an update stream, regardless of whether
that update stream was originally implemented using Monticello or some
other mechanism.

I like Frank's idea. Turning the old update stream mechanism into a
reloadable package would reduce the clutter of Utilities, and it would
hopefully preserve the update stream mechanism in a manner that would
make it easier to understand and maintain.

Dave