[squeak-dev] Stack VM = Squeak VM?

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed Nov 27 16:05:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013, gettimothy wrote:

> I am confused as to what the term 'Stack VM' refers to.

"The StackInterpreter is an intermediate step after closures and before
the JIT to ensure steady progress and on-time delivery of a substantially
faster VM. The essential point, of course, is that a stack organization
suits the use of native call and return instructions whose use, along with
in-line cacheing techniques, substantially improve send and return
performance." -
http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/2009/01/14/under-cover-contexts-and-the-big-frame-up/

I would say it's a CogVM without a JIT.

Levente

> > Here is the outline I have. > > Smalltalk VM = Blue
Book > Squeak VM   = Tim Rowledge's OE-Tour.pdf