Code formatting patterns (was: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: Compiler-cmm.275.mcz)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Oct 6 17:53:26 UTC 2013

On 06-10-2013, at 10:36 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> This precise proposal is argued against by "Inline Message Pattern"
> >> (pg. 172 of the book).  Method body's would be starting in all
> >> different vertical places, your eyes have to "find" it.  And by
> >> consuming more vertical space it will result in more required
> >> scrolling.  Methods are often very short, would we really want to see
> >> the message pattern take up more space than the body?
> >
> > You're putting up a straw man here. Nobody is proposing to always put a keyword on a new line. That would make no sense at all.
>
> Oh, I thought that's what you were proposing as an alternative to
> Tim's pragma idea.  I guess I misunderstood.
>
> Tim's pragma idea was a joke…

Yes, sort of. I bet you could make something of that kind which would provide formatting help. An optional wotsit that the Shout & prettyprinter would take notice of. Not a lot different to ideas about optional type information provision.

The real joke is that even if someone spent the time to implement it, nobody would use it and in a few years time somebody would be stridently demanding that such a system must be developed or Smalltalk would be *destroyed* - *destroyed I tell you!!!!* by Visual javsharp++

tim
Strange OpCodes: BSO: Branch Sort Of