[squeak-dev] Styled code (was: Code formatting patterns)

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Oct 10 08:21:37 UTC 2013

Hi
On 10.10.2013, at 09:41, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 2013-10-09, at 23:50, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

>>> ... except that gets dropped by MC.
>>>

>> yeah, for our tools, we re-enabled that.
>> the source is Text then and no pure String.
>> At first the compiler was confused, but a few
>> well-thrown #asString’s made everyone happy
>> again. But I understand methods with style are
>> strange or even confusing. Should we try that out?
>>
>> best
>>   -Tobias
>
> I'd like that. Having rich text as source code used to be a pretty nifty feature. But after we switched to MC and turned on syntax highlighting it did not get used any more.

The problem is NOT MC.
MC merely serializes what it gets… if it's String, it serializes Strings
if it's text, it serializes text. (Which _isn't_ true for the sources.st,
tho… doable there, but that is an entirely different story).

The problem I see is syntax highlighting. I personally want that.
But, eg, inside comments I probably want to be free to do what I like.
Second problem: when I style literal strings, do they get Text (that
would be soooo cool) or stay they strings? Also, what style is
the syntax highlighter allowed to remove?

Best
	-Tobias