[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Graphics-nice.274.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 12:43:28 UTC 2013

Hi Nicolas,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Nicolas Cellier <

> Well, it's probable that all these indirections were too much, but
> restoring the primitive makes a difference with this mini-benchmark under
> interpreter VM:
>
> | text |
> text := Compiler evaluate: (FileStream fileNamed: 'text.st')
> contentsOfEntireFile.
> MessageTally spyOn: [[100 timesRepeat: [(NewParagraph new)
>         compose: text
>         style: TextStyle default copy
>         from: 1
>         in: ( 0 at 0 corner: 569 at 9999999)]] timeToRun ].
>
> with text extracted from "Working With Squeak" workspace, goes from 713ms
> down to 261ms with the primitive.
> So it might be worth until you come with something better...
>
> For COG, the same bench goes from 65ms to 49ms, so the primitive is not
> really necessary.
> I'm pretty sure that Spur will change the numbers in favour of image-side
> code.

Hmm, we need to be careful here.  Spur should speed up allocations, which
include blocks, and at:put: on Arrays & Strings, etc, and garbage
collection, but it doesn't speed up the basic execution engine.  So I doubt
that it'll be any faster in Spur since the loop probably isn;t doing any
allocations or at:put:'s, right?

--
best,
Eliot