[squeak-dev] Best place to put MCZ files?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 12:45:52 UTC 2013

On 1 September 2013 12:55, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that there was a thread about hosting a copy of squeaksource.com.
>
> Are we thinking we're going to reopen that or are we only keeping it for posterity?
>
> Is the best place to host (external) MC packages that target Squeak-proper presently http://ss3.gemstone.com/ ?
>
> Should I just stick my .mcz files on a github account?
>
> Curious about where we're at on this.

If you're just using mczs, ss3's your best bet. It's rock solid,
Google friendly, and you can search for things.

If you're OK with various kinds of code->file mappings, you could host
chunk formatted source through Gitocello, or thing-per-file mapped
source with Filetree, both on GitHub.

I'm really torn between the two formats. On the one hand Gitocello has
!s all over the place in that hideous chunk format, but you can
actually see more than one thing at a time. (A whole class at a time!
Imagine that!) Filetree on the other hand effectively versions
methods/semantic units, which is great from a theoretical standpoint
and terrible from a just-wanna-browse-some-code perspective. You have
to continually spawn windows or back-and-forth to see more than one
thing.

One could build a special 3rd party website that used the
not-too-awful mechanism of hitting GH for the code snippets from a
Filetree repo that assembled code into something a bit bigger than a
pinhole view. A bit of a mission though, and lots of screen scraping.

frank