[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.5 VNC Viewer debugging question: how to think about this?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Mon Sep 2 14:24:33 UTC 2013

Good Morning.

    On right monitor is Squeak4.5 on Cog.app-13.28.2749;
        RFB-ikp.6 from SqueakSource
        I use this as the VNCServer.

    On left monitor is Pharo2.o ;
        RFB(MarianoMartinezPeck.16)
        I use this as the VNCViewer.

My plan was to debug the squeak side using the pharo side as a reference.
It worked like a charm for the

RFBSocket>>waitForSendDoneFor: timeout

method where  a  copy-n-paste (thank you Mr. Peck (: ) enables me to start the server on Squeak and connect the VNC Viewer on the pharo side, and my squeak shows up (yay!)
However, when I move the mouse over the viewer, the server crashes.

I tracked the problem down to here:

RFBSession>>endUpdate
     SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 5 put: allocationCount.

Commenting out the

SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt: 5 put: allocationCount

line, enables the view to show up just fine; Howerver, Mouse events are not captured (buffered? killing the viewer, makes all the mouse events happen at once).

I am not a VM guy (yet), so I was hoping a simple version check on the VritualMachine would do the trick, but then, I realized its something deeper.

Here is the pharo version check.

VirtualMachine version 'NBCoInterpreter NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid: a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
NBCogit NativeBoost-CogPlugin-EstebanLorenzano.18 uuid: a53445f9-c0c0-4015-97a3-be7db8d9ed6b Mar 13 2013
git://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed.git Commit: 412abef33cbed05cf1d75329e451d71c0c6aa5a7 Date: 2013-03-13 17:48:50 +0100 By: Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> Jenkins build #14535

Here is the Squeak version check:

SmalltalkImage current vmVersion 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.302]'

Some observations (I have not been coding Smalltalk in over a year, and I am a bit of a newbie)

    1. Squeak and Pharo are forked and I only see this sort of thing continuing.
    2. Pharo factors VirtualMachine out of SmalltalkImage.
    3. My idea to 'just install NativeBoost and see if that works'  seems silly
    4. If Pharo is the 'tool for the job' for the project I need VNC for, then I can deal with that, its just that I like Squeak.

At this point, I decided to ask for advice on the best way to approach this problem.

Please note, I have to do the Stripe work for squeak before I can revisit this.

thx in advance.

t.