[squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Sep 4 01:33:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 06:21:08PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 02-09-2013, at 12:45 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> > Who, if anyone, is maintaining the FreeType package? Who, if anyone, is using it? It has some rather old methods that nastily over-ride more recent methods in the trunk image. That implies it is moribund to me.
>
> Well it certainly sounds like nobody cares about FreeType. I guess that means nobody will mind as I rewrite some of the low-level font/scanner code and almost certainly break FreeType.

I don't know if anyone is actively using FreeType, although I think that it
is (or was?) being used in Pharo. We do try to keep the FT2Plugin healthy
in the VM.

If you can clean up the font code, I'd say you should consider yourself
empowered.

You might want to check if Juan has addressed any of this in Cuis. You'll
never go too far wrong by adopting his work.

Dave