[squeak-dev] use of ToolBuilder default

Bob Arning arning315 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 11 12:54:13 UTC 2013

I got into the state where I could not open a FileList and tracked it
down to the ToolBuilder default having retained some state from an
earlier error building a new widget. In particular, the <parent> ivar
was still pointing to some previous SystemWindow and gthat caused error
when trying to create the buttons on the FileList.

In ToolBuilder, one could add an ensure: to see that parent always gets
reset:

buildAll: aList in: newParent
     "Build the given set of widgets in the new parent"
     | prior |
     aList ifNil:[^self].
     prior := parent.
     [
         parent := newParent.
         aList do:[:each| each buildWith: self].
     ] ensure: ["<<<<"
         parent := prior.
     ].

but I guess a better question is why Toolbuilder default doesn't
automatically return a clean builder?

Cheers,
Bob