[squeak-dev] Something in the update process damages the background

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 18:24:17 UTC 2013

Well, I agree with the "let's not hack it" part.

It's not a ReleaseBuilder issue or problem though. The release process
does set the background, but the problem here is that some random (*)
change in code triggers a... regrettable change in my image. Updating
the image is a distinct process from creating a release. I've always
treated the update process as having a "thou shalt not monkey around
with the updater's settings" principle. This changing of background
violates that principle. It's not in a serious way - my background
disappears - but other updates _could_ do potentially bad things,
because a class' #initialize tries to format my hard disk or something

I guess I'm saying that a code change shouldn't result in a state change?

frank

(*) no disrespect intended!