CI works! (was Re: [squeak-dev] Logging progress during an update)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 11:29:14 UTC 2013

On 17 September 2013 08:40, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really do need to take the time to look at that guy... So I should, for the moment, just need to catch the PIEs to log? I tried that but maybe I did it wrong. I'll take another run at it. We definitely do need a command line processor in trunk, at any rate. Loads of the CI work is working around our lack thereof.

Well, I haven't managed to log updates, but I _have_ finally managed
to fix the CI update scripts. A merge conflict caused an
MCMergeBrowser to pop up and halt the world. CI assumed the task had
hung (which it had, effectively), and hilarity ensued.

http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunk/532/console shows a properly
working update. (I have no idea where all those empty lines are coming
from... unless they're progress indications?? Could be!)

The script didn't just bail because an MCMergeResolutionRequest has a
#defaultAction (to bring up the dialog). Since the script doesn't
catch that exception, the #defaultAction triggers, popping up the
dialog.

Without having thought it through, one possible solution is to _never_
create dialogs directly, but always through ToolSet. (So Monticello
would extend ToolSet's API, for instance.) That way, a
CommandLineToolSet could bail with a decent error message, while (in
this case) the StandardToolSet could pop up a MCMergeBrowser.

frank