[squeak-dev] sqConnectToAddressSize: Address family not supported by protocol

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 23:45:04 UTC 2013

After 15 years of paying $50 / month for Internet service, Google
Fiber has arrived and offering a much better deal.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem using Squeak's HTTPSocket
with GF.  I'm getting ready to call their tech-support but wanted to
ask you all first to see if I can at least understand a background of
the problem from a networking perspective.

The difference between connecting to my old ISP and new GF begins at
obtaining a SocketAddress via NetNameResolver.  If I do:

   NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.google.com' timeout: 20.

With Surewest (old ISP) I get:

   64.126.1.187(64-126-1-187.static.everestkc.net),0(0)

But with Google Fiber I get:

    2607:f8b0:4001:c05::93(ig-in-x93.1e100.net),80(http)

Those are the printStrings for instances of SocketAddress.  The first
one is 24 bytes, the GF one is 36 bytes and will not allow me to
connect.  If I try to use the one from GF to connect to HTTP server
like this:

    SocketStream openConnectionToHostNamed:  'www.google.com' port: 80

then I get a ConnectionRefused is signaled, 'Cannot Connect to
2607:f8b0:4001:c05::93(ig-in-x93.1e100.net),80(http)'.

and the subject line of this mail is reported from the VM on the command-line.

Turning off "Enable IPv6 and new network support" in Preferences works
but my understanding when we flipped that ON by default was that it
would be "transparent" with old IPv4.

Did no one else in the community experience an issue or is Google
doing something unique from other ISP's that could be causing this
issue?  Is this a problem with Squeak or Google Fiber?

Many thanks.