[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Multilingual-tpr.177.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Sep 27 01:30:20 UTC 2013

On 26-09-2013, at 6:08 PM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Great!
> Despite the latency between France and Canada
> - it must be greater than expected, or one of us is death, look how our thread is interleaved ;) -
> we finally made some progress on the Multi* front.
> Now there must not be so many differences remaining between the two hierarchies...
> I think it's better to merge them before trying to restore lost features (CombinedChar for pre-composed unicode).
> La balle est dans votre camp messire Rowledge.

Yah - the next trick is to try to remove the need for CompositionScanner and use only MultiCompositionScanner (though we really need to rename that.. maybe it would just be smarter to move all the 'good' stuff to CompositionScanner) and then hit DisplayScanner etc.

I'd like to completely remove one full tree. We've got rid of MultiTextComposer & and MultiNewParagraph at least. I'd like to end up being able to add a new primitive to do the equivalent of primitive 103 but better, for the new system. (We can't simply replace 103 since it is needed to support older images) The ultimate aim is just making the usual case(s) go as fast as possible, which is challenging when you look at the insane amount of code involved in displaying a little bit of text.

> Oops I wrote death instead of deaf...
> remember I write english like I speak: very bad :)

Ah, you write better than quite a few Brits & Yanks that I've worked with (or even worked *for*)

tim
"How many Carlos Wus does it take to change a lightbulb?" "With an unlimited breeding licence, who needs lightbulbs?"