[squeak-dev] Environments question

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Apr 7 19:58:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 01:40:53PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> As I was programming in Squeak today, I typed a class name, including
> its two-letter prefix.  I wondered, could Environments be used to,
> dynamically, only in transient memory, remove a prefix from a package?
>  It would be nice to enjoy typing and reading the pure, unprefixed
> class names, but would want to keep the original prefixes when I save
> a new version of the package..

I am also curious about how to use Environments for this kind of thing.
Right now I am experimenting with an alternative implementation of DateAndTime,
and I'm using the good old fashioned approach of giving it a different
name, in this case LXDateAndTime. Assuming that I get it working, I will
want to be able to replace the current DateAndTime with the new one,
but keep the original one working until it is no longer needed. Of course,
DateAndTime is used for source code time stamps, so there is a period
of time when both implementations have to be in the image. It would
be nice if I could do this with the new implementation being named
DateAndTime (not LXDateAndTime).

Dave