[squeak-dev] SqueakMap server

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 22:21:18 UTC 2014

"Migration" means we'd have two catalogs.  One with migrated stuff,
the other with unmigrated stuff.  So, when one goes looking for
MorphicWrappers they would need to first check the "new-SqueakMap" to
see if it had been migrated and, if not, go and look at the "old"
SqueakMap.  The whole purpose of a single, uniform, accepted Catalog
is to avoid this kind of confusion.

The entire legacy SM domain model is currently up to 722k (up from
700k more than 3 years ago).  It's an elegant domain model that
resides entirely in memory and doesn't need changed at all to replace
the server implementation.  Part of the model refers to a place in a
directory structure on the SM server for the .st or .sar files.  So
there's nothing to "migrate".  We just need to replace the server
implementation and keep this same domain model and storage directory
structure.  Sure, it they can be "refined" on a whim but that's not
necessary to replace the server.

Some people want to have a new, empty SqueakMap so we can keep track
of what's "new and shiny" apart from what's "old and dusty".  That's
understandable and SM already delineates new from old, what's been
uploaded recently, what works for new versions of Squeak's and what
for old versions.