[squeak-dev] open paren/brace/bracket...

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 20:12:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    first, excuse the venting.  Who the %*&^$# decided to inflict the "always
> type a matching open/close pair" when typing any of ( [ { etc on us?  Would
> that person please consider commiting hara kiri?
>
> OK, now slightly calmer, I find it /exceedingly/ annoying.  Is this really
> an appropriate default?    How does one turn it off?
>

> The cases that send me up my *&%$^# tree are when I intend to add a single
> one in front of some string when I go back to edit some text (e.g. add an
> exception handler around some phrase).  Here, typing the pair *is just
> broken*.  Doing it at the end of a text or at the end of line is defensible.
> Doing it always IS F*&^%$*G BROKEN.

Calm down, won't you?  If you need to add an exception handler around
some phrase, why not just highlight the phrase and press Command+[ to
surround it with brackets.

Some people like to "edit text" and some people like to "edit
expressions".  Personally, I find "editing text" pretty old-school,
and a lot more tedious..