[squeak-dev] Re: SMServer beta update

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 00:40:48 UTC 2014

On Saturday, April 19, 2014, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, cool. Looks kind've Boostrap-ish?
>
> I kicked the tires a bit. What's the basic elevator pitch here? Are
> you ripping out HttpView and replacing it with Seaside, with the
> existing data model behind it?
>
> I think the elevator pitch is: SM is a good vector for installation with a
sound model and a miserable user experience. Fix the last part.

The same model with Seaside and Bootstrap. I wrote four issues on my
whiteboard that are problems with the current server: unreliable due to
age; the server UI is a tad confusing; it's choked with the appearance of
programs you don't want; you can only install one file at a time, as
opposed to a whole application.

I had grand plans to change things, but the more I learn the details, the
less I want to make big changes. So, one map, no archive, use of filters
and categories in both the server and the client to weed out the
unwanted. I want to add a script by pasting into a form field, when making
a release, so you can download entire apps. Chris M. has pioneered that
sort of thing already. I want to extend it to the server.

Chris