[squeak-dev] Spur performance report...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:05:06 UTC 2014

Hi All,

    I should write a blog post on this, but I can't wait...

In recent days I've written a script to build a Cog VMMaker image from
Squeak 4.5.  See http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image.
 This has allowed me to run the current Cog VM against Spur side-to-side.

To build a Cog VMMaker image on my 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro using
the current Cog VM takes about 2 and a half minutes:

McStalker.image$ time oscfvm CogVMMaker.image BuildSqueak45Image.st
real    2m30.671s
user    2m15.683s
sys     0m5.283s

To build the equivalent image using Spur takes about 1 and a half minutes:
McStalker.image$ time spurcfvm CogVMMaker-spur.image BuildSqueak45Image.st
real    1m34.943s
user    1m23.666s
sys     0m6.810s

Comparing:

94.943 - 150.671 / 150.671 * 100 -36.99
83.666 - 135.681 / 135.681 * 100 -38.34
150.671 / 94.943 1.59
135.681 / 83.666 1.62

that's about a -37% speedup, or 1.6x faster.
--
best,
Eliot