[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Kernel-mt.867.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Aug 13 08:48:47 UTC 2014

That's why it is a customizable preference. :)

I personally find that additional click annoying because I do most of the
time not care whether a particular window is active or not. More precisely,
I do not want to bother whether a window is active or not---especially for
two windows that are barely overlapping. If I see content, I immediately
want to interact with it and not continuously be surprised that nothing
happend but an additional click is necessary.

The user should drive the UI? Fine. But the UI should not interfere with the
users intentions, which is typically interacting directly with data on
screen. ;)

You see, overlapping windows is only one way of organizing top-level
containers in an environment. Eclipse does it differently, for example. If a
window is overlapped to a problematic extent and needs to be repositioned or
come to front, users have to interact with the UI explicetly and not with
their data anymore. This should be a very rare case considering overall
usability. If not, window placement has to be re-designed. :) You are right,
window switching is frequent but manual re-layouting is not. Given this, the
situation where users have to "find the safest spot to click" arguably
occurs not that often.

Modes that are not easily discoverable are annoying. This is-active property
of system windows belongs into that category. Especially when working on
large screens. ;)

I will enable this preference in my images. The default stays "disabled" as
it was before.

Best,
Marcel