[squeak-dev] Squeak 4.5 Windows right-click debacle

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Aug 28 02:14:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 05:01:25PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi guys, did anyone happen to notice that RIGHT-CLICK DOESN'T WORK in
> Windows on our Squeak-4.5 release download?
>
> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xIgjzkwaWr4J:stackoverflow.com/questions/6802219/squeak-smalltalk-why-cant-i-activate-the-do-it-menu+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
>
> Verified.  HTF did this get past our testing?  Was it related to a
> last-minute inclusion of the CogVM?

I am assuming that this is an ini file setting issue, in which case it
would be a packaging problem as opposed to a Squeak 4.5 issue. If and
when there is a Squeak 4.5.1, the designation should refer to the Squeak
image itself, not to whatever configurations may have been included in
an all-in-one package.

If we want the all-in-one package to be presented as the primary release
artifact (not a great idea IMO), then it probably needs to be versioned
in some way also. But changing an ini file setting for one of the many
possible VMs should not be mixed up with the versioning of the primary
Squeak release artifact, which is the image itself. So I'd say fix the
all-in-one file, maybe just give it a new name to reflect the update,
and let to go at that. Oh, and update the links on squeak.org as needed.

> Whatever -- need to put out an update.  Some acquaintences of mine
> wanting to learn Squeak, following Lawson English instructional videos
> except they couldn't get the right-click menu, they sent me the link
> above indicating others having the same issue.  Not a good first
> impression!
>
> 1) What is the proper fix?  It seems the
>
>    3ButtonMouse=0
>
> in the "squeak.ini" file, it should be 1 right?  Changing it seems to
> clear up the issue in Windows, but so does "swapMouseButtons" in the
> image, but flipping that would foul it up for Linux so I'm thinking
> the .ini file.
>
> 2) Did we do something related to "signing" for Mac and so I suppose
> flipping that will require the new All-In-One to be resigned to work
> on Mac (?).  I know nothing about Mac, please advise.

I think that the signing issue relates only to the executable Mac VM,
so an update to the all-in-one package for a Windows ini file would not
require any update for the Mac VM. But I'm not a Mac user, so I can't
say for sure.

> 3) If we have to resign anyway, 4.5 has had a few updates taking it to
> 13687 instead of 13680 (current 4.5 download).  So if we have to
> resign anyway, should we go ahead and deliver this latest image too?
>
> 4) If we delivering a new image, maybe we should call it 4.5.1?
>
> As release manager, I'm embarassed, and inclined to make this right.
> Please help me think this through and with the Mac stuff..

Don't be embarassed. There are a lot of possible platform variations,
and not a lot of us available to test the release candidate images on
all of the possible platforms.

Look at it this way - ten years from now, the Squeak 4.5 image will still
be a valuable artifact, and somebody somewhere will be running it, possibly
for reasons that none of us can anticipate today. But none of the current
operating systems, VMs, and all-in-one packages that we are using now will
be in circulation at at that time. So the image is the release artifact,
and all the rest is "just" packaging.

Dave