[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 4.5 Windows right-click debacle

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:59:36 UTC 2014

Ugh, it's just such a frustration. I put people onto us over the internet
and they ask me which mouse button they're supposed to push, and I'm just
at a loss to help, because my mouse only has one button, and the keyboard
buttons one is supposed to hold to get the context menu are different too.

More seriously: David's argument is strengthened somewhat by the fact that
there are still places in the universe where a few more bits worth of
download can be very expensive (for example, to a teacher in orbit or an
astronaut in a developing nation. Or maybe Scratch that, reverse it.)

For most newcomers, the all-in-one reduces friction. For most experienced
users, it's a pain in the ass and a waste of bandwidth. These two facts put
tension on what to release. I'm very grateful for the all-in-one, and the
people who make it possible. I think with Frank's continuous integration,
we should be able to have the cake and eat it too, though, but that's just
a thought.

--Casey