[squeak-dev] Re: Trunk update puts corrupt Monticello files into package-cache

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Aug 30 14:24:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 04:03:23PM +0200, Bernhard Pieber wrote:
> I forgot to mention that I checked for some of the corrupt files if they are corrupt on source.squeak.org and it seems they are not, e.g.
>
> curl -O http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Collections-eem.571\(nice.569\).mcd
> unzip -t Collections-eem.571\(nice.569\).mcd
> Archive:  Collections-eem.571(nice.569).mcd
>     testing: package                  OK
>     testing: version                  OK
>     testing: base                     OK
>     testing: old/source.st            OK
>     testing: new/source.st            OK
>     testing: patch.bin                OK
> No errors detected in compressed data of Collections-eem.571(nice.569).mcd.
>
> It seems to follow that the corruptions happen locally because of broken (intermediate?) code which is executed during the trunk update.

One of the updates in the update stream (Collections-eem.567) exposes a bug
that affects zip compression, and that therefore messes up MCZ processing.

The only available workaround is to use a very recently compiled VM, built
from sources circa July or later. Without that, it may not be possible to
successfully update the trunk stream. The VMs distributed with Squeak 4.5 or
from squeakvm.org probably will not work.

This information is not on Mantis, but it should be. Even after sorting out
the VM related issues, I think we still have issues remaining in the Smalltalk
zip processing (the fallback code for the primitives), so it may take some
time to get it all straightened out.

Dave