[squeak-dev] No vm-display-x11 Plug-in After Building From Source On FreeBSD 10.1

B J quarterwavevertical at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 15:02:32 UTC 2014

<snip>

Thanks.

> There's a couple things that may go wrong:
>
> It's possible it was not built because of missing header or library files.
>
> It's also possible the module's file name is different (e.g. on Linux it is
> so.vm-display-x11)

I've noticed that with FreeBSD when I tried installing Squeak from the
repository.

so you might have a look in the vm's lib directory for
> what the actual name is.

It said it was looking for vm-display-x11.so, but if so.vm-display-x11
is what's produced, I'm assuming that an error would result.

> Also, if you did not run "make install" you will have to pass the actual
> directory name for the plugins on the vm's command line.

The instructions suggest running "make" first, checking out the
results first, and then running "make install".  I didn't go further
than just "make" because of the error.

> Finally, even if the VM finds the module, it may fail to load if some
> dependent library is missing. On Linux I can check with "ldd pluginfile",
> not sure what the equivalent BSD command is.

I haven't tried that yet.