[squeak-dev] No vm-display-x11 Plug-in After Building From Source On FreeBSD 10.1

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 17 11:49:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 06:51:29AM +0000, B J wrote:
> I decided to do a fresh installation of FreeBSD 10.1, complete with
> Mate as desktop and Slim as the login manager.  I then downloaded the
> necessary files using subversion and things got interesting.
>
> I noticed after configuring the source code that there was a warning
> from cmake about there not being a CMakeLists.txt file in:
>
> /root/Desktop/squeak/platforms/unix/npsqueak

I think that is a harmless warning, so you can ignore it.

> Apparently, CMakeLists.txt has to be in all input directories but
> earlier versions skipped it.  But, the current version of cmake
> apparently won't allow it unless Policy CMP0014 is set.  I surmised
> that by setting that parameter to OLD, I could get around it.
>
> After setting that and then running "make", it appears that everything
> was built.  I got no errors and some warnings, leading me to believe
> that the parameter was a key factor.
>
> The so.vm-display-X11 plug-in now exists in:
>
> /root/Desktop/squeak/build/vm-display-X11
>
> so that problem appears to be solved.  However, if I run:
>
> /root/Desktop/squeak/build/squeakvm
>
> it can't find it unless I specify that plug-in's location using the
> "plugins" parameter to specify its path.  Now it complains that squeak
> can't find a sound driver.
>
> What do I do now?
>
> Please advise.  Thanks.

Just install it and give it a try. Do "sudo make install", and run
/usr/local/bin/squeak yourimage.image

Are you doing this all under a root user ID (I notice your build
directory is under /root)? Bad idea, but you can skip the "sudo" part
if you are already root.

Dave