[squeak-dev] No vm-display-x11 Plug-in After Building From Source On FreeBSD 10.1

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 18 04:38:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 03:23:31AM +0000, B J wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >> I noticed after configuring the source code that there was a warning
> >> from cmake about there not being a CMakeLists.txt file in:
> >>
> >> /root/Desktop/squeak/platforms/unix/npsqueak
> >
> > I think that is a harmless warning, so you can ignore it.
>
> I'm not so sure.  After looking at a few files with that same name in
> other directories, it might be critical to the overall installation
> process.  I have the impression that it might contain code relating to
> plug-ins, but I don't know right now which those might be.

It is a harmless warning. Ignore it.

> > Just install it and give it a try. Do "sudo make install", and run
> > /usr/local/bin/squeak yourimage.image
>
> The problem is that as it is, without having run "make install",
> Squeak crashes and dumps a file.

You are running some random mix of 64 bit executables and 32 bit plugins.
This will crash and dump core. Don't do that. As I said before, you just
need to install your VM and give it a try.

If you prefer to skip the installation stop, you could manually copy the
squeakvm executable and the */so.* modules from your build directory
into some target directory and run it from there. If you then put your
image and changes and and sources files into the same place, and run
the squeakvm executable and the various plugin modules all from the same
directory, it should work.

But I strongly advise you *not* to do this. Just install your newly built
VM properly and try it. The entire installation will go into /usr/local so
you can easily get rid of it if you are not happy with the results.

Summmary: If you install your VM, it will probably work. If you do not
install it, it probably won't.

Dave