[squeak-dev] two bugs with fonts 4.5-13671

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Feb 6 21:06:21 UTC 2014

On 06.02.2014, at 21:17, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the report.  The same problem appears in the 4.4 release.
>>
>> Really? IMHO the simple cursor from previous releases looked much better...
>
> The "simple" cursor is hard to see.  And when you do see it, the
> flashing is distracting.

I thought we agreed on having first-impressions (out-of-the box experience) be non-distracting. A blinking black vertical line is "normal" in pretty much any modern UI. This is nothing where Squeak should stand out.

>> and did not have this problem.
>
> I'm with Nicolas -- couldn't reproduce.  You could?  How?

The baseline of the dumbbell looks wrong wrt the underline. Maybe that's a different problem, but it looks bad.

>> I'd rather turn the dumbbell shape off. It looks plain weird to me - I only know this shape as a mouse cursor, not as shape for the insertion point (does any system have that?)
>
> You knew it as the cursor in all of Squeak 3.x (and, probably 2.x).
> It's nothing new, just your complaint.

No, I was happy that we switched to a regular cursor, and see no good reason to go back. It's one thing less that immediately puts off people who see Squeak for the first time.

- Bert -