[squeak-dev] two bugs with fonts 4.5-13671

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:32:25 UTC 2014

>> The "simple" cursor is hard to see.  And when you do see it, the
>> flashing is distracting.
>
> I thought we agreed on having first-impressions (out-of-the box experience) be non-distracting. A blinking black vertical line is "normal" in pretty much any modern UI. This is nothing where Squeak should stand out.

Yes, you're right.  Seems like every editor I look at the cursor is a
thin, black vertical bar in a sea of black text.  Like a needle in a
haystack, brilliant!  (not!)

At least it is _not_ flashing everywhere.  Like, right now, typing
this Gmail email, the cursor is not flashing, even when I set it to my
OS preferences.

Flashing-cursor is like the computer "prompting" the user to type
something, when maybe even they only intend to read and not type
anything.  It's annoying and distracting for the software to presume
such.

So, if we go back to vertical bar cursor, I propose we keep the red,
which indicates it's "write" nature  (green=read, red=write) to
alleviate the needle-in-a-haystack problem when you want the cursor,
and leave flashing off so it's not jumping up and down waving its arms
when you don't.