[squeak-dev] two bugs with fonts 4.5-13671

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 22:50:52 UTC 2014

> I may well be in a minority of one. If I right click, I get halos.

In Windows?  That's the opposite of Linux.  Sounds like the different
VM's are not allowing us to deliver a consistent experience.

> In
> _my_ opinion, that's completely wrong, and should bring up a context
> menu.

In terms of managing new-user expectations, I completely agree.

> (In fact, I don't even know how to bring up a context menu
> without fixing the buttons.)

Middle-click or ESCape key.

> Because, you know, host OSes have trained
> me. But I freely admit to having been trained in the way of Windows,
> Gnome, KDE, and (as little as possible) OS X, so I'm content to just
> fix the preference in my own images. There are even tests to show that
> on Windows the buttons do the wrong things (sorry, I can't resist).
>
> I was, however, completely unaware of any VM settings regarding mouse buttons!

There's one more added complexity -- Blue-Drag and Blue-Zoom, which
modernize Squeak's UI to help user go 100X faster and which I use 1000
times per day, DON'T WORK at all on Linux unless swapMouseButtons is
OFF.

Because of that, a couple of years ago, I had to learn to switch my
conventional use of Red Blue Yellow to Red Yellow Blue.  Which is
fine, now that I'm accustomed to it, so let's not go casually goofing
with it again..!  :-S