[squeak-dev] Celeste (was: GSoC time)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Feb 8 10:33:14 UTC 2014

Tim Rowledge pondered:

> A decent email facility. I have this vague recollection that Celeste still
> exists and some one even uses it?

This was typed in Celeste, which has been my only email client since
late 2004. I have a bunch of fixed which I haven't shared since they are
some of the worst code ever written because crashes always happen when I
am in a hurry to reply to an email. There are lots of low hanging fruit
to make less unreasonable, but a new client might be a better option.

> Again, in a boot-to-Scratch Pi it could be interesting to provide an email
> system. And maybe use Scratch scripting to add rules to it for sorting and
> filing and stuff? And given the utter balls-up that Apple have made of their
> email app in Mavericks recently, maybe now is the time do a good version
> that non-Squeakers would use!

Most people I know currently use web based mail services. I have
experience with two (Zimbra and SmartMail) and prefer Celeste.

-- Jecel